The Measure of Success
“Am I successful?” asked every person ever. The answer, of course, depends on your definition of success and the criteria you use to measure it. CIDM is often asked for metrics that define the success of a technical communication department. How can managers determine if their teams measure up to industry norms? What data should they collect? What outcomes are most important?
CIDM is seeking informative presentations on this subject for our 2019 Best Practices conference being held in Austin, Texas, September 9-11. Possible topics include:
- Defining success in technical communication Deadline has been extended to May 31, 2019!
- Identifying key performance indicators
- Setting appropriate department goals
- Inspiring the right behaviors in your team
- Collecting meaningful data
- Tracking individual and team performance
- Evaluating customer satisfaction with your content
- Determining industry standards and metrics for technical communication
- Measuring the immeasurable
- Finding the numbers that count
- Leading your team to success
We are looking for compelling proposals in any of the following formats:
- An 18-minute TED-like talk—A short, crisp presentation that engages and inspires the audience to action.
- A 40-minute success story—Longer and more in-depth discussions about a success that you’ve experienced or a lesson you’ve learned.
- A 90-minute panel (even if you don’t have all the panelists)—A presentation by 3 to 4 individuals commenting on a single theme. Suggest a topic you’d be willing to pull together and lead, and we can help you find panelists if needed.
- A 90-minute workshop – An interactive exercise that gives participants a tangible takeaway they can immediately bring back to their teams.
- A 15-minute table talk—A demonstration of a best practice, industry innovation, or technical solution. Set up in a room full of round tables, the audience will get up and select another table/presentation every 15 minutes. (It’s a lot like speed dating!)
Registration fees are waived for Members and non-members presenting a 40-minute talk, leading a 90-minute workshop, or participating in a panel. Presenters of the shorter presentations (15-minutes or 18-minutes), who are not CIDM members, are offered the discounted registration fee of $1125. Silver, Gold, and Platinum Members may participate using the member discount or the registration pass(es) included with membership.
Please submit your proposal no later than
May 15, 2019. This deadline has been extended to May 31, 2019!
Selected presenters will be notified by mid-June.